While the cricket season may have drawn to an end the club is still a hive of activity as we prepare the club for the winter and start to lay the foundations for a successful 2020 season and beyond.
Over the last few weeks we have:
- Undertaken scarification works on our cricket square. This is important work to ensure that we can continue to produce excellent wickets at Swindon CC. Thanks to Kevin Thompson for leading this and the Wiltshire Groundsman Association, John Wilkins of Goatacre CC and Paul Jackson of Corsham CC for their help.
- Hosted a private function for the Millar family, who have been raising money for the Prospect Hospice following the passing of their sister. The club was packed full for their Quiz night and they did a great job raising over £750 for Prospect.
- Had the club open for a few STFC match days. Sal Aubrey has done a great job for the club in building up a loyal base of football supporters who head to SCC for their pre match tipple. If you can help Sal over the winter on the bar for a match or two please get in touch.
- We hosted the Police Giffard Plate final. This prestigious cricket match saw Devon & Cornwall Police take on Gwent Police, who ran out winners. The club, including Roy Baker, Kev Thompson and the Aubreys were thanked for their efforts to host the game.
- The 2019 Presidents Day saw Swindon CC reclaim the trophy from the Arkells XI – full report here: https://www.swindoncricketclub.co.uk/news/presidents-day-2019-2462661.html
- Off the field Tom and Dan (Club Chair and Vice-Chair) continued to build links with Crest Nicholson and help them in their aim to bring cricket to Tadpole Garden Village – a new development to the north of Swindon. We met them, plus local MP Justin Tomlinson and Wiltshire Crickets Pete Sykes to discuss the current plans.
- Tom has been undertaking our ECB Clubmark review – it is nearly ready for submission. This is an important accreditation that demonstrates commitment to running a well governed, safe, effective and child friendly junior section.
- Club representatives, volunteers and players attended the Wiltshire Cricket Annual Awards evening. The evening takes place to celebrate County and District performances, District competition winners and County winners of NatWest Outstanding Service to Cricket Awards (OSCAs). The club is incredibly proud to report that we had representation across all of the categories. All the winners are here: https://www.swindoncricketclub.co.uk/news/swindon-cc-pick-up-awards-at-the-wiltshire-cricket-presentation-evening-2465781.html
- We are finalising details of the 2019 Family Fireworks event. Our event has grown in popularity and provides excellent value for families as KIDS GO FREE! The date is set for Saturday 2nd November. Full event details, including links to tickets, to be launched soon. Keep your eyes peeled!
Looking forward, we have a lot of events coming up for youths, seniors and the general public:
- TODAY - Saturday 21st September - 18:30 - We are hosting our second open air cinema screening with Adventure Cinema. We are screening Rocketman, a film perfect for the big outdoor screen. Full details and tickets here: https://www.facebook.com/events/2796765237019134/]https://www.facebook.com/events/2796765237019134/]https://www.facebook.com/events/2796765237019134/
- Sunday 29th September – CHANGED DATE - 10:00-12:00 - club winter shutdown. We will be putting the club to bed for winter. This requires help from our members of all ages to make sure all our benches, cricket kit, screens etc etc etc are looked after through the long winter. Please pop down to help and you will be rewarded with a warm brew and a biscuit or two!
- Friday 27th September - Time TBC - YOUTH PRESENTATION NIGHT at the club. More details to follow on this, but we hope parents and young players can join us to celebrate what has been an amazing youth season. Awards will be handed out on the night.
- DATE TBC – IGNORE PREVIOUS DATE - SENIOR PLAYERS MEETING, AWARDS & CELEBRATIONS at the club........possibly with a trip to Old Town to follow. More details to follow on this, but we hope to gather the views from all players on this season and what we can improve going forward before celebrating the standout players and performances of 2019. ALL PLAYERS IN SENIOR TEAMS ARE ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND.
- Saturday 2nd November – Family Fireworks and Bonfire Event
- If you can help with any of the above events in any capacity please let Tom Foreman or Daniel Harris know through Pitchero. Many Thanks.
How to follow the club’s activities:
If anyone has any questions, things to add, match reports, photos, stats or anecdotes they would like shared on the clubs media please send them through to Daniel Harris (email@example.com) or one of the club accounts below.
- Pitchero - http://www.swindoncricketclub.co.uk/ All players, parents and supporters should sign up for club news, updates, match information and for players to set their availability.
- Facebook: Facebook.com/SwindonCricketClub
- Twitter: @swindoncricket
- Instagram: @swindoncc